Art by Hoppow Norris

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Serpentine River - Summer


Serpentine River
Summer

Touches of a doe’s tongue
At the tail end of a slithering brook
Pools with other thoughts
In emerald eyes that beckon thirsty souls.

In your repose
Casual legs caress the sun,
Splayed toes cool the sand
As you gaze without shame
Upon the emerging boulders.

As sure as the madrone
That leans toward your raised cup
I approach the shimmering threshold,
Pause for a breeze of doubt 
Then join the silky dance
Of your collected dreams. 




2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the last stanza...although I'm still trying to figure out the madrone part.

    Here's a July poem:

    Tired fingers try to scrub away
    this old worn frown.
    Sitting in the low fog
    my breath turns into you;
    in front of me
    your face fades
    your voice a memory
    as the embers burn
    slowly
    I wait and hold
    myself
    so far from how
    you would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I see the madrone tree leaning over the river it seems in awe of the river's beauty and power, and faithful, as it is taking part in communion. I must have taken that image for granted - should describe it better. Thanks for the feedback.

      Your poem made me feel sad about the past, but gives me faith. Beautiful.

      Delete